Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Human Dignity


I just watched a video of a homeless man named Ronald Davis who talked to the press about what it is like to live as a homeless man.  This really opened my eyes towards the hardship that homeless people.  When ever  saw a homeless person, I always said to myself, "Why doesn't that guy just get a job?"  Well this man answered that question, they can't.  He said when he walked in a business to apply for a job, they looked at him like he was crazy.  Then they would ask him for a phone number and they would call him.  The only problem is that he doesn't have one like the thousands of other homeless people.  It made me feel guilty for being so critical of these people, even though they have hardly any opportunities.  My view of the homeless has been changed completely.

Secondly, I never realized that the homeless are humiliated to ask for money.  When ever I saw a homeless person begging for money, I always thought of them as an inanimate person.  I never realized that it takes a great deal of courage for them to ask for money, and they only do it because they have to in order to make it another day.  Ronald Davis consolidated all the money he collected that day and if he had enough, he would buy a room for the night.  If not, he would just sleep outside in the elements.  Also, not only did he have to by a room, but he also had to buy food.  The money he received from gracious people was greatly appreciated and helped him survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment